The specificities of the Casa de Velázquez
Every fall, the General Council of Loire-Atlantique presents an exhibition at the Estate of Garenne Lemot, featuring the work of recent graduates from the Casa de Velázquez in Madrid.
The Estate is closely linked to the Academy of Fine Arts.
Indeed, the Casa de Velázquez was created in 1916 by Charles-Marie Widor, Perpetual Secretary of the Academy of Fine Arts.
As for the Garenne Lemot estate, from the very beginning, in the early 19th century, it has born the symbol of the Academy of Fine Arts. Indeed, the estate belongs to a member of the Institut, the sculptor Frédéric Lemot. Moreover, portraits of other members of the Institut can be found in the Galerie des Illustres, reinforcing this particular historical link.
In order to highlight and reinforce the relationship between Garenne Lemot and the Academy of Fine Arts, a cultural exchange program was created. Thus, every year, the Lemot Villa hosts the exhibition “Artists from the Casa de Velázquez.”
This year, the General Council of Loire-Atlantique presents the work of seven French contemporary artists who have stayed and worked at the Casa de Velázquez in Madrid for two years: Arnaud Brochard, sculptor, Laurent Okroglic, an engraver, as well as Hélène Picard, Charlotte de Maupéou and Laurence Egloff, 3 painters.
In addition, a Spanish painter, Maria Buil, recipient of a grant from the city of Zaragoza, will join the exhibition.